from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dark green fecal material that accumulates in the fetal intestines and is discharged at or near the time of birth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dark green mass, the contents of the fetal intestines during the later stages of mammalian gestation, that forms the first faeces of the newborn
- n. opium
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Opium.
- n. The contents of the fetal intestine; hence, first excrement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Poppy-juice.
- n. The feces of a new-born infant.
- n. In entomology, the feces of an adult insect just transformed from the pupa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. thick dark green mucoid material that is the first feces of a newborn child
Latin mēcōnium, poppy juice, from Greek mēkōnion, from mēkōn, poppy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin mēcōnium ("opium; excrement of a newborn child"), from Ancient Greek μηκώνιον ("poppy-juice, opium"), from μήκων ("poppy"). (Wiktionary)