from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. Informal To move in a leisurely, relaxed way; saunter: moseyed over to the club after lunch.
- intransitive v. Informal To get going; move along.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To set off, get going; to start a journey.
- v. To amble; to walk or proceed in a leisurely manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To go, or move (in a certain manner); -- usually with out, off, along, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A dialectal variant of mossy.
- To move off or away quickly; get out; “light out.”
- To be lively; be quick; “hustle.”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. walk leisurely
In truth, all it takes is a few days and setting your internal clock to "mosey" to fully appreciate Austin's charms — move too fast, and you'll miss them.
The Colonel ordered him to arise, get his company together, "mosey" down to where the big road crossed the branch and wait until the carriage arrived.
Fix that there rope, boys, an we'll get through, an 'mosey 'long out o' here.
Got t 'mosey 'long t' th 'still now; ought t' o 'been there hour ago.' f I can do anything fer you, jest le 'me know.
Audience members can "mosey" on through a Cookie Buffet during intermission.
His explanation of his use of the word "mosey" is illustrative:
The sky was darker when I stood up and told Ellie we had to mosey on.
As Coloradans, we need to stand up for our God-given right to mosey unfettered across intersections, like the mighty buffalo across the plains.
If they would agree to let me shoot a sequence at the Egyptian, I could mosey over to other establishments and get them to let me shoot at their venues as well.
When you mosey through a bookstore, you don't rely on computerized "genius" estimations of what you might like, but instead leave it up to chance and a wandering eye.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.