from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various marine gastropods of the genus Murex common in tropical seas and having rough spiny shells, especially M. trunculus, the source of Tyrian purple.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the genus Murex of marine gastropods.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. . [capitalized] The typical genus of Mùricidæ.
- n. A species of this genus.
- n. Pl. murexes or murices (-rek-sez,-ri-sēz). A caltrop.
- n. A shell used as a trumpet, as in representations of tritons, in art.
New Latin Mūrex, genus name, from Latin mūrex, purple-fish.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)