from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A music-making device consisting of a housing or box enclosing a sounding mechanism, especially one in which a row of tuned steel teeth are plucked by pins set in a revolving cylinder to produce a melody.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A box that generates or plays music, particularly one using mechanical means rather than electronic, generally using a cylinder or disk containing the music.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Musical box, under Musical.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as musical box (which see, under musical).
- n. A barrel-organ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. produces music by means of pins on a revolving cylinder that strike the tuned teeth of a comb-like metal plate
From music plus box. (Wiktionary)