from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The shell enclosing the meat of a nut.
- idiom in a nutshell In a few words; concisely: Just give me the facts in a nutshell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The shell that surrounds the kernel of a nut.
- n. A short book summarizing an area of law.
- v. To summarize (from the term in a nutshell).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The shell or hard external covering in which the kernel of a nut is inclosed.
- n. Hence, a thing of little compass, or of little value.
- n. A shell of the genus Nucula.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The hard shell which forms the covering of the kernel of a nut: used proverbially for anything of small content or of little value.
- n. A bivalve mollusk of the family Nuculidæ; a nutlet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the shell around the kernel of a nut
nut + shell (Wiktionary)