from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Arsenic trisulfide, As2S3, a yellow mineral used as a pigment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. arsenic trisulphide, occurring naturally in crystals or massive deposits, formerly used as a dye or pigment
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Arsenic sesquisulphide, produced artificially as an amorphous lemon-yellow powder, and occurring naturally as a yellow crystalline mineral; -- formerly called auripigment. It is used in king's yellow, in white Indian fire, and in certain technical processes, as indigo printing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Arsenic trisulphid, As2S3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a yellow mineral occurring in conjunction with realgar; an ore of arsenic
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin auripigmentum : aurum, gold + pigmentum, pigment; see pigment.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French, from Latin auripigmentum ("orpiment"), from aurum ("gold") + pigmentum ("pigment"). (Wiktionary)