from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See lime3.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. lime, (calcium oxide), produced by heating limestone; on treatment with water it gives slaked lime
- v. To treat with quicklime.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Calcium oxide; unslacked lime; -- so called because when wet it develops great heat. See 4th lime, 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Calcium oxid, CaO; burned lime; lime not yet slaked with water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a white crystalline oxide used in the production of calcium hydroxide
Middle English qwyke lyme, living lime (translation of Latin calx vīva) : quick, qwyke, living; see quick + lime, lyme, lime; see lime3.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)