American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The extreme end or tip of a finger.
- idiom. at (one's) fingertips Readily or instantly available.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The end or tip of a finger.
- n. In archery, a tip of leather or other material worn upon a drawing-finger to protect it from the friction of the bowstring. Tips are of two kinds: screw-tips, adjustable to any degree of tightness by a screw-bolt and nut; and knuckle tip, shaped so as to stick to the fingers when the arrow is loosed. See
- n. plural On the coast of southern California, a plant of the stonecrop family, Stylophyllum edule, with tufted cylindrical leaves the size of a lead-pencil. The Indians used the leaves as a salad.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the end (tip) of a finger.
- n. the end (tip) of a finger
- From finger + tip. (Wiktionary)
“And there are the scars which recall happy moments: one on my fingertip from a knife that slipped when I was chopping onions too fast, cooking up a storm for the man I loved.”
“Verification occurs when the entire fingertip is laid on the sensor.”
“You will find English speakers almost within fingertip reach.”
“In the 1948 Baseball Register, Gene Bearden says, My knuckler probably should be called a fingertip ball.”
“Bearden in the Baseball Register: My knuckler probably should be called a fingertip ball.”
“A scrawled advertisement - "Ozzy Zig Needs Gig" - brought him to the reluctant attention of drummer Bill Ward and guitarist Tony Iommi (whose own industrial misfortune, namely a fingertip-removing welding accident, forced him to develop a unique playing style).”
“You arrange the blocks by dragging with a fingertip, which is a quick action and does not obscure your ability to see what you are doing, as some iPhone games unfortunately do.”
“Leaping high over the defensive back, the receiver makes a "fingertip" catch near the sidelines.”
“Shortly after Detroit executives officially realized that women drove one-third of all cars on the road, Dignam spearheaded a campaign for Ford, pitching one of its 1936 models as a fashionable purchase, with a "fingertip" gearshift and a baked enamel finish that required almost no "complexion care.”
“They then moved the 'fingertip' over a glass slide that had been covered with raised lines of uneven spacing and thickness, which made the artificial skin to vibrate at varying frequencies that could be detected by the sensor.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fingertip’.
sentences showing how finger is used
To point at with ..., She was never wea..., The cardinals hav..., Thy heart is fing..., To cheat (a perso..., Frank Lee..had ‘f..., To play upon (an ..., fore-finger, index-finger, middle finger, fool's finger, ring finger and 93 more...
The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind: he was willin' to make a deal.
When he came across this young man sawin' on ...
The finger list, that is!
Looking for tweets for fingertip.