from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A usually sweetened bread baked first as a loaf and later cut into slices and toasted.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a usually sweetened bread enriched with eggs that is baked and then sliced and toasted until dry and crisp
- n. a teething food for toddler children
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of biscuit or rusk first baked in a loaf and afterwards cut and toasted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Slices of bread made from a rich dough, which have been heated in an oven until they are thoroughly dried and are of a deep yellow color.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. slice of sweet raised bread baked again until it is brown and hard and crisp
German : zwie-, twice (from Middle High German zwi-, from Old High German; see dwo- in Indo-European roots) + backen, to bake (from Middle High German, from Old High German bahhan, backan).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German Zwieback, from zwie- "twi-" + backen "bake" (twice-baked), a calque of Italian biscotto. (Wiktionary)