from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A salad of finely shredded raw cabbage and sometimes shredded carrots, dressed with mayonnaise or a vinaigrette.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A salad of finely shredded raw cabbage and sometimes shredded carrots, dressed with mayonnaise (white) or a vinaigrette (red).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A salad made of sliced cabbage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dish consisting of finely cut cabbage dressed with vinegar, salt, pepper, etc., eaten either raw or slightly cooked; cabbage-salad. Also called, erroneously, cold-slaw.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. basically shredded cabbage
Dutch koolsla : kool, cabbage (from Middle Dutch cōle, from Latin caulis) + sla, salad (short for salade, from French, from Old French; see salad).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Dutch koolsla, from kool ("cabbage") + sla, abbreviation of salade. (Wiktionary)