from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a tuned electronic circuit used to generate a continuous output waveform
- n. A pattern that returns to its original state, in the same orientation and position, after a finite number of generations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One that oscillates.
- n. An instrument for measuring rigidity by the torsional oscillations of a weighted wire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which oscillates.
- n. One of the Oscillatoria.
- n. In machinery, any oscillating machine or part of a machine, as the oscillating shuttle of a sewing-machine, or the mechanism by which a power-hammer is vibrated or tilted.
- n. A motor in which the piston oscillates in the cylinder over a minute range at high speed. In combination with a dynamo it is used to obtain currents of high frequency.
- n. In wireless telegraphy, that part of the transmitting apparatus which produces the electric waves or oscillations. See wireless telegraphy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. generator that produces sonic oscillations or alternating current
Sorry, no etymologies found.