from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is employed to take and appraise samples, as of a food product.
- n. A mechanical device that is used to obtain and analyze samples.
- n. A decorative piece of cloth embroidered with various designs or mottoes in a variety of stitches, serving as an example of skill at needlework.
- n. A representative collection or selection: a sampler of American short-story writers.
- n. A variety; an assortment.
- n. An electronic device used to copy and digitally manipulate a segment from an audio recording for use in a new recording.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. someone whose job is to take samples
- n. a device that takes samples
- n. A digital device that merges together samples of recordings
- n. a piece of needlework embroidered with a variety of designs
- n. a representative selection of a larger group
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who makes up samples for inspection; one who examines samples, or by samples.
- n. A pattern; a specimen; especially, a collection of needlework patterns, as letters, borders, etc., to be used as samples, or to display the skill of the worker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An exemplar; a pattern.
- n. A piece of embroidery, worsted-work, or the like.
- n. One who samples; one who makes up and exhibits samples for the inspection of merchants, etc.
- n. A kind of shovel divided into several parallel rectangular compartments, used in taking uniform and similar samples from a heap of pulverized ore or other material to be assayed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who samples food or drink for its quality
- n. an assortment of various samples
- n. a piece of embroidery demonstrating skill with various stitches
- n. an observation station that is set up to make sample observations of something
Quite a few of them, particularly a pair of WORD's 'Now Hear This' discs as well as a label sampler and a few themed ones via "the competition", are nearly worn out at this stage.
Oishinbo: Japanese Cuisine (Viz): A culinary sampler from the long-running food manga.
The Elfrida who's doing that sampler is the same age as me, and born the same day, she reflected.
James Blake in his melding of lounge R&B and electro, collates this outrageously good label sampler with contributions from Quadron and his own archives.
This compilation label sampler kicks of with The Truth in Strickly Rootical mood with a heavy reminder of where digi-dub has to thank for its inspiration, aside from Jah.
No Sleep Records is offering "No Sleep Till Death," a brand new and completely free digital label sampler featuring unreleased songs from upcoming releases from Balance And Composure, Monument To Thieves (Keith Barney of Throwdown),
All orders also come with a free 2009 label sampler, while stocks last.
One new Luigi Rubino song can be found on the free downloadable Prikosnovenie label sampler "The 4 winds of Prikosnovenie".
A few days ago I heard a real cool contribution from Mandelbrot on the Audiophob label sampler "Hyperakusis".
But after the goofy label sampler tracks like "Party In Ya Face," this EP is kind of him going back to more serious, message-driven music, though the production goes in a whole different direction with all these thick
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.