from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To imprint over with something more, especially to print over with another color.
- n. A mark or impression made by overprinting.
- n. A mark or words printed over a postage stamp to note a change in use or a special occasion.
- n. A stamp so marked.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The addition of new text on a previously printed stamp, usually to add a surcharge or change the face value.
- v. To add an overprint.
- v. To overlap different colours to avoid gaps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An offprint.
- In photography, to print (a positive) much darker than it will be when finished.
- In calico-printing, to print one color over another, as the printing of indigo patterns on cloth previously dyed turkey red.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. print (additional text or colors) onto an already imprinted paper
- n. something added by overprinting
over- + print (Wiktionary)