from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or issued by a pope: the papal succession; a papal bull.
- adj. Of or relating to the Roman Catholic Church.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having to do with the pope or the papacy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the pope of Rome; proceeding from the pope; ordered or pronounced by the pope
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Roman Catholic Church.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or relating to the Pope in his official capacity, or the papacy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. proceeding from or ordered by or subject to a pope or the papacy regarded as the successor of the Apostles
Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin pāpālis, from Late Latin pāpa, pope; see pope.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin adjective papalis, from papa, daddy, from pater, father, + adjective suffix -alis (Wiktionary)