American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or issued by a pope: the papal succession; a papal bull.
- adj. Of or relating to the Roman Catholic Church.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or relating to the Pope in his official capacity, or the papacy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the pope of Rome; proceeding from the pope; ordered or pronounced by the pope
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Roman Catholic Church.
- adj. proceeding from or ordered by or subject to a pope or the papacy regarded as the successor of the Apostles
- From Latin adjective papalis, from papa, daddy, from pater, father, + adjective suffix -alis (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin pāpālis, from Late Latin pāpa, pope; see pope. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“(Pius XI seated upon the papal throne in papal mantum, with Cardinal deacons in cappa on either side)”
“Why should we rely on anti-LT Catholics when we wouldn't dream, for example, of asking Protestants to explain papal infallibility?”
“I would later learn that my ideas about social justice, better articulated and without my errors, appear in papal encyclicals.”
“Few believe in papal infallibility, but they are less likely than liberals to say that "all the world's great religions are equally true.”
“The change in papal funerals was expressed most starkly in the first to be held after Vatican II.”
“He was at one time commissary general of the Order and again papal legate to Milan, Burgundy, and to the emperor.”
“At age eighteen, Artemisia Gentileschi finds herself humiliated in papal court for publicly accusing the man who raped her Agostino Tassi, her painting teacher.”
“Protestant Christians in papal times; and probably shall be again restored to its pristine grandeur, such as it had under the Caesars, just before the burning of the harlot and of itself with her.”
“The pope's vision of the continent, formally delivered on Sunday to Africa's bishops in the form of an 87-page document known as a treatise, has been called a "papal road map" for Africa.”
“God's name abused in papal inquisitions, when by oaths, ex officio, they extort accusations of themselves from the innocent, and of others from the ignorant.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘papal’.
who is this god person, anyway? (--Douglas Adams)
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Looking for tweets for papal.