from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that lends money at interest in exchange for personal property deposited as security.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who makes monetary loans at interest, taking personal property as security – which may be sold if not redeemed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Pawnbroker.
- n. One who makes a business of lending money on the security of personal property pledged or deposited in his keeping.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is licensed to lend money on pledge or the deposit of goods at a legally fixed rate of interest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who lends money at interest in exchange for personal property that is deposited as security
Sorry, no etymologies found.