from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To pen; to confine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Oil cake; penock.
- intransitive v. To hang; to depend.
- intransitive v. To be undecided, or in process of adjustment.
- transitive v. To pen; to confine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To pen; confine; hamper; restrain.
- n. A pen; an inclosure.
- To hang, as in a balance; await settlement; impend. See pending.
- n. In Scotland, an arched or covered entrance or passage through a block of buildings into an open lane or close.
From Middle French pendre ("to hang"), and its source, Late Latin pendere, from Latin pendēre. (Wiktionary)
Compare pen ("to shut in"). (Wiktionary)
Back-formation from pending. (Wiktionary)