from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To change the order of.
- transitive v. Mathematics To subject to permutation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To change the order of something.
- v. To make a permutation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To interchange; to transfer reciprocally.
- transitive v. To exchange; to barter; to traffic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To interchange.
- To exchange; barter.
- In mathematics, to subject to permutation or change of order.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. change the order or arrangement of
Middle English permuten, from Old French permuter, from Latin permūtāre : per-, per- + mūtāre, to change; see mei-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)