from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or containing phosphorus, especially with valence 5 or a valence higher than that of a comparable phosphorous compound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to phosphorus.
- adj. Resembling phosphorus.
- adj. Of a compound, containing phosphorus in a higher oxidation number than phosphorous compounds, especially with one of 5.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to phosphorus; resembling, or containing, from us; specifically, designating those compounds in which phosphorus has a higher valence as contrasted with the phosphorous compounds.
- adj. Phosphorescent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, obtained from, or resembling phosphorus; phosphorescent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. containing or characteristic of phosphorus
Sorry, no etymologies found.