American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. An opossum.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as opossum.
- To play possum; feign death.
- n. US An opossum, a marsupial of the family Didelphidae of the Americas.
- n. Any of marsupials in several families of the order Diprotodontia of Australia and neighboring islands.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.), Colloq. U. S. An opossum.
- n. nocturnal arboreal marsupial having a naked prehensile tail found from southern North America to northern South America
- n. small furry Australian arboreal marsupials having long usually prehensile tails
- Corruption of opossum. (Wiktionary)
- Short for opossum. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I think possum is correct in saying that the problem isn't that NASA can't estimate costs, its that the project managers will run three cost models and pick the one that they want, instead of going with the high one. (or at least justifying - with analysis - why the high model is wrong)”
“September 10, 2008 at 11:09 am 9. The word possum,in some parts of the universe,is actually the most horrible insult ever known.”
“It's a first person account of adopting a possum from a possum rescue organization.”
“The girls passed on along the road below, uninterested in chestnuts and "'possum" - grapes; but the boys following them ( 'Lige and some of his supporters) ran up to have a look.”
“There is one other creature in the world which does this, and that is the long-fingered possum, which is found in New Guinea.”
“The cartoon represented an old colored man who saw an opossum in a tree close to his house; he was so elated over the idea of possum and sweet potatoes that he climbed the tree.”
“The possum is a strange creature, having a pouch to shelter her young ones.”
“The collective claims VicForests is illegally cutting down old trees in the area and threatening the habitat of the endangered Leadbeater's possum, which is one of Victoria's emblems.”
“The opossum, colloquially known as a possum, is about the size of a domestic cat.”
“A common misconception about the opossum is that it is the same animal as the possum, which is actually a completely different animal from the family”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘possum’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Critters observed by me in and around Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. Native wildlife only.
Words from the songs of Frank Black, a.k.a. Black Francis
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Stuffie #5. Stuff you play.
Words created by removing the beginning of a longer or original word or phrase. See also Fun with Apocopes.
Looking for tweets for possum.