from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A unit of mass in the metric system equal to 100 kilograms.
- n. See hundredweight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A measure of weight originally equal to a hundred pounds; later, a hundredweight.
- n. One hundred kilograms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hundredweight, either 112 or 100 pounds, according to the scale used. Cf. cental.
- n. A metric measure of weight, being 100,000 grams, or 100 kilograms, equal to 220.46 pounds avoirdupois.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A weight of 100 pounds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a unit of weight equal to 100 kilograms
- n. a United States unit of weight equivalent to 100 pounds
Middle English, a unit of weight, from Old French, from Medieval Latin quintāle, from Arabic qinṭār, from Late Greek kentēnarion, from Late Latin centēnārium (pondus), hundred(weight), from Latin centēnārius, of a hundred; see centenary.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Anglo-Norman quintal, Middle French quintal, from Late Latin quintale, from Arabic قنطار (qinṭār), ultimately from Latin centenarius. (Wiktionary)