from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In a prompt, timely manner; promptly.
- adv. In a cooperative manner; willingly.
- adv. In a manner indicating or connoting ease; easily.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Without unwillingness or hesitation; showing readiness.
- adv. Without impediment, easily.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a ready manner; quickly; promptly.
- adv. Without delay or objection; without reluctance; willingly; cheerfully.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a ready manner; with facility; quickly; speedily; promptly; easily.
- With readiness or alacrity; without delay or objection; willingly.
- Just now; at once.
- Synonyms See ready.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in a punctual manner
- adv. without much difficulty
Few people who use the word readily register the fact that its letters initially stood for words: self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.
The so-called "traditionalists" I don't cede the term readily often behave badly, then when you call them on it, they respond by citing how they were "hurt" and treated badly.
Balloons will be in readily accessible locations and visible from nearby roadways.
Everyone on the ship had grown weary of the endless crying and screaming; the captain readily consented.
His hair had fallen over his eyes but he swept it back and joined in readily enough when Arcadio ordered another round.
They are made to take up a minimal amount of space, yet remain readily available for use.
There are many uses for this but the one that occurs to me most readily is the parish situation in which Latin is out of the question, and this is not an unusual case.
Bargain is not a word readily associated with the richest league in the world but there were signs last year, when Deloitte noted that Premier League spending dropped from £525m in 2008 to £450m, that the economic climate was starting to bite.
He was a genuine war hero but that status gives him no more insight into defense and foreign policy issues than either Clinton or Obama can obtain readily if they pick the right advisors.
Writers in the avant-garde recognize that, if poets can earn acclaim too readily from the modern critic, then such poets must have failed to push their experimentation to an extreme beyond the acceptable parameters for innovation.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.