from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. People regarded as disreputable or worthless.
- n. Rubbish; trash.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rabble; crowds; the common people.
- n. low class, ghetto, indigent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Sweepings; refuse; the lowest order of society.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Scraps; refuse; rubbish; trash.
- n. The rabble.
- n. Sport; fun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. disparaging terms for the common people
Middle English riffe raffe, from rif and raf, one and all, from Anglo-Norman rif et raf, rifle et rafle : Old French rifler, to rifle; see rifle2 + Old French raffler, to carry off (from raffle, act of seizing; see raffle1).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)