American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Heavy paper coated on one side with sand or other abrasive material and used for smoothing surfaces.
- v. To rub with or as if with sandpaper.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Stout paper coated with hot glue and then sprinkled with sharp sand of different degrees of fineness. It is used for rubbing and finishing, and is intermediate in its action between emery-paper and glass-paper.
- To rub, smooth, or polish with sandpaper.
- Hence, figuratively To make smooth or even; polish, as a literary composition.
- n. a strong paper coated with sand or other abrasive material for smoothing and polishing.
- n. a sheet of such paper
- v. transitive To polish or grind (a surface) with or as if with sandpaper.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Paper covered on one side with sand glued fast, -- used for smoothing and polishing.
- v. To smooth or polish with sandpaper.
- n. stiff paper coated with powdered emery or sand
- v. rub with sandpaper
- sand + paper (Wiktionary)
“I had to use very fine grain sandpaper to get rid of one big scratch, but now the whole screen is hazy.”
“Something a lot more important is that I finally cut off my goatee, tears were shed and stories told then WHAM! after seven months of growth my manly mug was as smooth as a babies butt with fine grain sandpaper stuck to it.”
“Cards upon which the single letters of the alphabet are mounted in sandpaper; larger cards containing groups of the same letters.”
“At this point, if the child already knows how to write, we may present the figures cut in sandpaper and mounted upon cards.”
“In addition to these alphabets we have a set of the capital letters mounted in sandpaper upon cardboard, and another, in which they are cut from cardboard.”
“Contemporaneously the child is taught to recognise and touch some of the letters of the alphabet made in sandpaper.”
“Glued to the sandpaper is a tiny cutout image of a woman's shoe.”
“Mr. Culler says he hopes the Cubitron II technology will eventually be applied to the kind of sandpaper people use at home.”
“Finishing materials such as sandpaper, shellac, varnish, paint, and thinner may also be needed.”
“They can be ground up for fertilizer; their livers are full of oil; and their skin makes the finest kind of sandpaper for cleaning or polishing metal without scratching it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sandpaper’.
A very wide category. There are possibly tens of thousands tool words in each of the world's languages.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
A nitty-gritty list for words containing sand-, -sand-, or -sand; and apropos terms and phrases. Your contributions are welcome.
This is a list of my favourite words (phrases) in english, as a second language. I love them mostly because of how they sound and their meaning.
Woodworking glossary (part 2) - Types of wood and other materials used in the workshop to build, repair or in the finishing processes.
A quercus little list.
Looking for tweets for sandpaper.