from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chopped or shredded cabbage salted and fermented in its own juice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dish made by fermenting finely chopped cabbage.
- n. A German person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Cabbage cut fine and allowed to ferment in a brine made of its own juice with salt, -- a German dish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A favorite German dish, consisting of cabbage cut fine, pressed into a cask, with alternate layers of salt, and suffered to ferment till it becomes sour.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. shredded cabbage fermented in brine
German : sauer, sour; see sauerbraten + Kraut, cabbage (from Middle High German krūt, from Old High German).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowed into English around 1600 from German Sauerkraut, from sauer ("sour, acidic, spoiled") + Kraut ("herb”, specifically “cabbage"). (Wiktionary)