from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that travels extensively by sea.
- n. A pirate.
- n. A pirate ship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A herring.
- n. One who roams about the ocean much of the time.
- n. A pirate, buccaneer or privateer; an ocean-going marauder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- One that cruises or roves the sea for plunder; a sea robber; a pirate; also, a piratical vessel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without having a commission from any sovereign nation
Compare Danish sørøver, German Seeräuber, Norwegian sjørøver, Swedish sjörövare. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.