from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large snakelike marine animal often reported by mariners since antiquity but never positively identified.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any unidentified sea monster, especially one resembling a snake or dragon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Any marine snake. See sea snake.
- A large marine animal of unknown nature, often reported to have been seen at sea, but never yet captured.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An enormous marine animal of serpentine form, said to have been repeatedly seen at sea.
- n. In herpetology, a general name of the marine venomous serpents or seasnakes of the family Hydrophidæ.
- n. A chain of salps linked together.
- n. A name of Ophichthys gomesii, an eel of the family Ophichthyidæ, found in the West Indies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. huge creature of the sea resembling a snake or dragon
Sorry, no etymologies found.