from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Braided cordage formed by plaiting several strands of rope fiber or similar material.
- n. Plaited straw, grass, or palm leaves for making hats.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. braided cord or fabric of such small stuff as plaited rope yarns
- n. straw or grass which is braid for a hat
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A braided cord or fabric formed by plaiting together rope yarns or other small stuff.
- n. Plaited straw or palm leaves for making hats.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a sort of flat braided cordage used for various purposes, and formed by plaiting rope-yarns or spun yarn together; also, grass or straw plaited by seamen for making hats.
- n. See sennet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. flat braided cordage that is used on ships
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
perhaps from French coussinet, diminutive of cousin 'cushion' because it is used to protect cables from fraying (Wiktionary)