from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See meteor.
- n. Any of several North American perennial herbs of the genus Dodecatheon, having nodding flowers with reflexed petals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A meteor, especially a streak of light in the night sky, caused by a meteoroid burning up as it enters the Earth’s atmosphere.
- n. Any of several wild flowering plants in the genus Dodecatheon, mostly found in Western North America.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. The American cowslip (Dodecatheon Meadia). See under Cowslip.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as falling-star. See star.
- n. The American cowslip. Dodecatheon Meadia: so called from the bright nodding flowers, which, from the lobes of the corolla being reflexed, present an appearance of rapid motion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a streak of light in the sky at night that results when a meteoroid hits the earth's atmosphere and air friction causes the meteoroid to melt or vaporize or explode
Sorry, no etymologies found.