American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See meteor.
- n. Any of several North American perennial herbs of the genus Dodecatheon, having nodding flowers with reflexed petals.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as falling-star. See star.
- n. The American cowslip. Dodecatheon Meadia: so called from the bright nodding flowers, which, from the lobes of the corolla being reflexed, present an appearance of rapid motion.
- n. A meteor, especially a streak of light in the night sky, caused by a meteoroid burning up as it enters the Earth’s atmosphere.
- n. Any of several wild flowering plants in the genus Dodecatheon, mostly found in Western North America.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Astron.), (Bot.) The American cowslip (Dodecatheon Meadia). See under Cowslip.
- n. a streak of light in the sky at night that results when a meteoroid hits the earth's atmosphere and air friction causes the meteoroid to melt or vaporize or explode
“I was still staring at this phenomenon when the long streak of a shooting star brought my mind back to our heat-shield problem.”
“In just a few hours that would beAtlantis …a shooting star blazing across the Pacific with a tail of ionized gas a thousand miles long.”
“It flew from his grasp like a shooting star and folk clamoured and feared for Sharrkan; but, as the spear flew near him, he put out his hand and caught it in full flight to the amazement of all who saw the sight.”
“But he knew that in the Graveyard of Lost Ships, it was a shooting star in the night sky, a perfect omen for making wishes come true.”
“These were lapel pins fashioned in the shape of the official astronaut symbol, a three-rayed shooting star passing through an ellipse.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shooting star’.
race relations, rack bar, rack-raking machine, radial drainage, radial flow to a ..., radial gate, radial gate with ..., radial tyre, radial velocity, radial velocity o..., radial water coll..., radial-gate weir and 4474 more...
i love the night
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
All things Light
For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names I
Tulip Names II: You Know My Name
A Myriad of Irii
These are the nicknames, not the model names. So the F-15 Eagle is listed here as "Eagle."
Looking for tweets for shooting star.