American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who holds the bets in a game or contest.
- n. One who has a share or an interest, as in an enterprise.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who holds the stakes, or with whom the bets are deposited when a wager is laid.
- n. In law, one holding a fund which two or more claim adversely to each other.
- n. A person holding the stakes of bettors, with the responsibility of delivering the pot to the winner of the bet.
- n. An escrow agent or custodian.
- n. law A person filing an interpleader action, such as a garnishee or trustee, who acknowledges possession of property that is owed to one or more of several other claimants.
- n. A person or organisation with a legitimate interest in a given situation, action or enterprise.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The holder of a stake; one with whom the bets are deposited when a wager is laid.
- n. someone entrusted to hold the stakes for two or more persons betting against one another; must deliver the stakes to the winner
- From stake + holder. (Wiktionary)
“You and I understand the term stakeholder, but to someone running their own copywriting business, they could conjure of images of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”
“Nowhere does the term stakeholder HAVE to mean "reside" -- it's LIVE, WORK, OWN PROPERTY, and the city attorney has declared YOU can't determine how much WORK makes one qualified.”
“Freeman used the term stakeholder analysis to remind management that it was in the long-term interests of the company to pay attention to the interests of those who have an impact on or are impacted by the activities of the company.”
“Constructive vs destructive participation as a stakeholder is the difference between the council and the mayor, on most things so far.”
“note: in my battles against the Business Associations and City Councils back in Atlanta I learned what the term "stakeholder" means anyone who will profit from the decision”
“Marina Silva is the main stakeholder for the Amazon today here in Brazil.”
“I was not a long-term stakeholder like the tribesmen or the board.”
“And this minority stakeholder is interfering with “fair and balanced” coverage.”
“It's a good idea to start a dialogue and make sure every stakeholder is at the table — law-enforcement professionals, mental-health professionals and institutions of higher learning," said Arnette Heintze, who with partner Terry Hillard founded Hillard Heintze strategic security advisers.”
“A spokesman for the council said it had voted not to back the offer and to maintain its earlier position not to sell its shares so as to remain a long-term stakeholder in the airport.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘stakeholder’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The bang, the cannonade,
the bale, the hum.
We don't know much of each other. (And this is probably why we still like each other.)
Add a word you hear at your workplace, and increase the mistery.
(One at a time, as in a spy story.)
Buzzwords of our time
An extensive list I have been working on for quite some time. Feel free to add more of the kind if you miss any.
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Don't get me wrong: I like my job. I like everyone I work with too, but not all of them are word lovers, and many of them abuse the language in ways that hurt me. I'm stashing them here so that p...
Behold! (and becomingholders!!) We all are stakeholders? Where's the steak? No beef!
Entries from the corporate hall of shame. (There are many wordie versions of this list - please link to yours in the comments section - thanks!)
It may take some time to heal.
business as usual, monetize, unique selling pr..., symphony product, birging, abridged ellipsis, new initiative, moving forward, stakeholder, let's take it off..., make the logo bigger, learnings and 16 more...
This is soooo Dilbert.
cube farm, thinking outside ..., blue sky thinking, brain dump, get our ducks in ..., push the envelope, low hanging fruit, offline, stakeholder, action item, basic functionality, world class and 31 more...
Looking for tweets for stakeholder.