American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A tumor consisting of different types of tissue, as of skin, hair, and muscle, caused by the development of independent germ cells.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A complex congenital tumor, often containing very many different tissues, as skin, hair, teeth, connective tissue, cartilage, bone, muscles, and glands: most frequently found at the lower end of the spine, about the head and neck, and in the generative organs. Also called teratoid tumor.
- n. pathology A benign or malignant tumour, especially of the gonads, that arises from germ cells and consists of different types of tissue such as skin, hair, or muscle.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) A tumor, sometimes found in newborn children, which is made up of a heterigenous mixture of tissues, as of bone, cartilage and muscle.
- n. a tumor consisting of a mixture of tissues not normally found at that site
- From terato- + -oma (Wiktionary)
“In our experience, fetal hydrops associated with sacrococcygeal teratoma is rapidly progressive and nearly always fatal.”
“View larger image »Discussing the implications of the ultrasound findings when a sacrococcygeal teratoma is initially diagnosed can provide parents with information on options to consider if hydrops evolves, a potentially fatal situation.”
“Josep Dalmau, a neuro-oncologist at Penn, and his colleagues had published studies describing anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, a rare reaction seen in young women to a common ovarian tumor called a teratoma, which is typically harmless.”
“There seems to be a grey area between a fetus in fetu and what is called a teratoma: a kind of encapsulated tumor which contains tissue or organ components resembling normal derivatives of all three germ layers.”
“When he was born at six pounds, four ounces, the teratoma was the size of a baseball.”
“A teratoma is a type of tumor in which other…growths…can be identified: hair, teeth, even eyes and limbs.”
“Dr. Ellis ordered an immediate MRI scan of Brandon's skull and found an extremely large tumor, known as a teratoma, in the middle of his brain.”
“The first and more common is a teratoma, which is a mass that contains various incompletely formed body parts that may include hair and teeth.”
“What remained was a teratoma, which is a benign tumor with a tendency to grow or degenerate back into another cancer.”
“But since the brain cells in the teratoma are the same as your own brain cells, the antibodies attack your brain, too, and you get a headache and go into a coma and then die if they don’t figure out what’s going on and remove it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘teratoma’.
usually i try to restrict this to sexually transmitted diseases, but some of the others are just so musical. Syphilis, it should be noted, would make a lovely boy's name, but that is outside the sc...
"Sick" is probably not the right word, but this is where I put diseases, problems and abnormalities until I find a better way to sort them.
These are just some random words that I might find a list for someday.
Looking for tweets for teratoma.