American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To remove from hinges.
- v. To remove the hinges from.
- v. To confuse; disrupt.
- v. Informal To derange; unbalance: He was unhinged by his wife's death.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To take from the hinges: as, to unhinge a door.
- To displace; unfix by violence.
- To unsettle; loosen; render unstable or wavering; discompose; disorder: as, to unhinge the mind; to unhinge opinions.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To take from the hinges.
- v. To displace; to unfix by violence.
- v. To render unstable or wavering; to unsettle.
- v. remove the hinges from
- v. disturb in mind or make uneasy or cause to be worried or alarmed
“From my experience, when you "unhinge" your mind, ultimately you transcend the conflicts.”
“actually its a myth that snakes 'unhinge' their jaws, they actually have a join near their chin that spreads out to allow the jaw to get wider.”
“My sister and I watched her unhinge her jaw for a lasagna sandwich once.”
“That year, copper slumped by more than 60% between July and December, as investors bet that the near-collapse of the financial system would unhinge world copper demand.”
“November 11th, 2009 12: 39 pm ET that's good news! unfortunately, the bad news is we still have to suffer the onslaught to our nation caused by the irresponsible and anti-American democrats until 2010 .... and 2012 to unhinge the worst of all, Obama.”
“One of the things about Crist that appears to really unhinge those on the right is that he openly supported Barack Obama's federal stimulus legislation and was quite happy to get the resultant funding.”
“He segued quite abruptly into some negative stereotypes, which might have been said in order to unhinge me.”
“Injuries and distractions can unhinge a powerhouse (see: Boston).”
“Even withdrawing US combat forces from areas that have seen a loss of Taliban control threatens to unhinge the fragile, hard-fought success.”
“I would like to thank the high school teachers who somehow managed to keep coming into school every day to teach a bunch of students who managed to unhinge the clock from our wall as a joke, or password protected our network computers so nobody could access them.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘unhinge’.
Looking for tweets for unhinge.