from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The univalent chemical radical CH2CH, derived from ethylene.
- n. Any of various compounds containing the vinyl radical, typically highly reactive, easily polymerized, and used as basic materials for plastics.
- n. Any of various typically tough, flexible, shiny plastics, often used for coverings and clothing.
- n. Phonograph records considered as a group: a secondhand store that buys and sells vinyl.
- idiom on vinyl In the medium of phonograph recordings: an old song available only on vinyl.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The univalent radical CH2=CH−, derived from ethylene
- n. Any of various compounds and substances containing the vinyl radical, especially various tough, flexible, shiny plastics
- n. Phonograph records as a medium
- adj. containing the vinyl radical
- adj. Made of polyvinyl chloride.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The hypothetical radical C2H3, regarded as the characteristic residue of ethylene and that related series of unsaturated hydrocarbons with which the allyl compounds are homologous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The compound univalent radical CH2CH, which appears characteristic of many ethylene derivatives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. shiny and tough and flexible plastic; used especially for floor coverings
- n. a univalent chemical radical derived from ethylene
They make sure their music is available in vinyl, CD, and MP3.
My first pressing vinyl is better than your compressed digital version.
Many of the classic LPs of the rock era are available in reissues, and most new releases are available on vinyl also. vinyl is hip.
At least vinyl is still alive and going strong in DJ communities.
Besides, vinyl is making a resurgence because, it turns out, it last * longer* than digital renditions of music.
SPEEDY GONZALEZ with the colors of his 1971 Dakin vinyl figure.
Hardcovers as a luxury market for bibliophiles the same way vinyl is for audiophiles?
Surfing, Avid DJ (spin that vinyl is the ONLY way to go!)
The spoons are literally greasy (remember, that which does not kill you ...), the booth vinyl is shredded, but the coffee is hot, the burgers rock, and you can't beat their pork roll and eggs.
He talked to us about cedar versus composite and told us about how cellular vinyl is actually the latest ‘fake’ material used in deck building.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.