from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A boatman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A seaman, a sailor.
- n. A man who lives or works on the water; a boatman.
- n. Someone who distributes or supplies water for a living; a water-carrier.
- n. Specifically, an attendant on cab stands who supplies water to the horses.
- n. A man skilled in multiple aquatic sports disciplines, such as surfing, bodysurfing, undersea diving, canoe paddling, fishing, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man who plies for hire on rivers, lakes, or canals, or in harbors, in distinction from a seaman who is engaged on the high seas; a man who manages fresh-water craft; a boatman; a ferryman.
- n. An attendant on cab stands, etc., who supplies water to the horses.
- n. A water demon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A boatman; a ferryman; a man who manages water-craft; one who plies for hire on rivers, etc.
- n. One who carries or distributes water; specifically, a person who waits at a cab-stand for the purpose of supplying the horses with water, calling the cabmen when they are absent, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who drives or rides in a boat
From water + man. (Wiktionary)