from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To express grief over; lament.
- transitive v. To express disapproval of or regret for; deplore: "Tom Brokaw of NBC News recently bemoaned 'the cancer of the sound bite' afflicting Presidential campaigning” ( John Tierney).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to complain about; to dismay or worry about something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To express deep grief for by moaning; to express sorrow for; to lament; to bewail; to pity or sympathize with.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lament; bewail; express sorrow for: as, to bemoan the loss of a son.
- Reflexively, to bewail one's lot.
- To pity; feel or express sympathy with or pity for.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. regret strongly
For the retentive types who extra time on their hands to copy-edit others’ posts: yes I know how bemoan is actually spelled.
Every year those of us engaged in the world of books and the written word bemoan losses in publishing.
It noted that if it did repatriate cash it could change the company's effective tax rate; companies typically bemoan the high taxes on repatriated cash, and hope the U.S. government declares a temporary tax break on repatriation as it has occasionally done in the past.
Mourinho described the second leg in Barcelona as "mission impossible" as he continued to bemoan his side's treatment by the referee.
And so, finally, as others bemoan the death of American leadership, a candidate has the hubris to invoke a grand dream and the media and others pile on.
Replays showed the striker was offside as Huth played the ball on in a crowded penalty area, leaving the Derby County manager, Nigel Clough, to bemoan his luck.
The only difference is you don't have to wait until the next day to share your amazement, vent your spleen or bemoan the death/betrayal/surprisingly good profiteroles of your favourite character, singer or #gbbo contestant.
It's always pleasant – in fact, the title track starts off as if they're trying to throw a little Rumer into the mix as well – but never quite manages to step beyond that, even as they bemoan the fate of "old Missy, living her life in vain".
Each could bemoan circumstances in the back four that see the centre-half and captain Nemanja Vidic lost to injury for the season just when Rio Ferdinand, as he ages, needs the aid of the Serb more than ever.
I love food – am a total foodie, and I bemoan the lack of food in romance as well.