from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A vegetable (Brassica oleracea var. italica) in the mustard family, closely related to the cauliflower and having dense clusters of numerous green flower buds.
- n. The flower clusters of this plant, eaten as a vegetable before the flower buds open.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant, Brassica oleracea var. italica, of the cabbage family, Brassicaceae; especially, the tree-shaped flower and stalk that are eaten as a vegetable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant of the Cabbage species (Brassica oleracea) of many varieties, resembling the cauliflower. The “curd,” or flowering head, is the part used for food.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the many varieties of the common cabbage (Brassica oleracea), in which the young inflorescence is contracted into a depressed fleshy edible head. It is closely similar to the cauliflower.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. plant with dense clusters of tight green flower buds
- n. branched green undeveloped flower heads
The word broccoli comes from the Latin broccolo, diminunitive of the term for a sprout.
The mushrooms are canned, and the broccoli is also frozen.
The broccoli is nearly there, and the collards need to be eaten before they become leather.
A four-inch lizard found in some broccoli from a supermarket has now become a family pet.
Mix together chili and broccoli and microwave 5 minutes until broccoli is tender.
How many of us haven't yet figured out that broccoli is generally a better choice than a Big Mac?
I love the looks of this tofu and think your substitution of rice & broccoli is a good one.
Stir in broccoli and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Drain broccoli and toss it in the pan along with garlic.
While broccoli is steaming, finely chop garlic and melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.