from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The act of circumcising.
- noun A religious ceremony in which a boy or man is circumcised.
- noun Christianity A feast observed on January 1 celebrating the circumcision of Jesus. Used with the.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of circumcising, or cutting off the foreskin or prepuce of males, or the performance of an analogous operation on females, as a religious rite, or in accordance with a custom founded on belief in the prophylactic value of the operation.
- noun As metaphorically used in Scripture, spiritual purification.
- noun Eccles., in the Roman Catholic, Greek, and Anglican churches, a festival observed on the octave of Christmas day (that is, the first day of January), in honor of the circumcision of Christ.
- noun Those spiritually purified and elevated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of cutting off the prepuce or foreskin of males, or the internal labia of females.
- noun The Jews, as a circumcised people.
- noun Rejection of the sins of the flesh; spiritual purification, and acceptance of the Christian faith.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The act of excising or amputating the
foreskinor prepucefrom the penis.
- noun The act of excising tissue from the
vulvaof the female.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun (Roman Catholic Church and Anglican Church) feast day celebrating the circumcision of Jesus; celebrated on January 1st
- noun the act of circumcising performed on males eight days after birth as a Jewish and Muslim religious rite
- noun the act of circumcising; surgical removal of the foreskin of males
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
One might ask why then do religious people CUT their children in circumcision, circumcision is a tradition of man and not of God.
This spiritual circumcision is realized in, or by, union with Christ, whose "circumcision," whereby He became responsible for us to keep the whole law, is imputed to believers for justification; and union with whom, in all His vicarious obedience, including His circumcision, is the source of our sanctification.
Studies performed at the University of Colorado School of Medicine revealed that circumcision is followed by prolonged, distressed non-REM (rapid eye movement) sleep.
The American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics and equivalent organizations in Canada all state that routine circumcision is not medically justified.
I look forward to the day when circumcision is forgotten like other parts of 18th century medicine or bronze age rituals.
Some people realize that circumcision is barbaric and has no place in the 21s century.
Not that it should matter to you, but circumcision is classified as cosmetic surgery in Ontario.
A circumcision is sometimes necessary at an older age to deal with splitting, scarring, and pain … Just ask my father, who, at 60 years young, finally addressed this problem!
Another big reason people advocate for circumcision is purely for cosmetic reasons.
“Jews Against Circumcision” also state that Rabbi Moses Maimonides himself acknowledged that circumcision is done to desensitize the penis and curb masturbation.