from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make impure or unclean by contact or mixture.
- transitive v. To expose to or permeate with radioactivity.
- n. One that contaminates; a contaminant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To introduce impurities or foreign matter; to soil or defile.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To soil, stain, or corrupt by contact; to tarnish; to sully; to taint; to pollute; to defile.
- adj. Contaminated; defiled; polluted; tainted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To render impure by mixture or contact; defile; pollute; sully; tarnish; taint; corrupt: usually in a figurative sense.
- Synonyms To infect, poison, corrupt. See taint.
- Contaminated; polluted; defiled; tainted; corrupt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make impure
- v. make radioactive by adding radioactive material
As the cook cut the melons s/he transferred the contaminate from the outside of the fruit to the inside.
David Cameron's favourite thinktank, Policy Exchange, published a book-length condemnation which claims that The Spirit Level's authors had produced a shabby, shallow work which threatened to "contaminate" our presumably honest political debate, as if it were an oil slick heading towards a pristine coast.
The authorities had been allowed to "contaminate" the results,
To me it recalls the thinking that a drop of African blood in one's heritage was enough to "contaminate" one's whiteness.
While local television broadcasts are permitted, cinemas are banned, and Khan rails against Western videos that "contaminate" Islamic and Afghan cultural values.
That human explorers will "contaminate" Mars is inevitable -- humans contain oceans of bacteria, and a human presence on Mars is sure to leave some behind.
The guards scrambled to pick up all the leaflets so our message wouldn't "contaminate" the criminals confined in the prison.
The 18,000 Druse and 2,000 Alawites on the Golan would be reunited with their co-religionists, but decades of life under the Zionists will have created social, economic and, yes, political expectations that could "contaminate" the larger Syrian polity.
This of course raises a question: if shoes are so ritually unclean, just how are these people holding these shoes so as not to 'contaminate' themselves?
If I were to perform this work and have my LLC send them the bill, would these earnings "contaminate" my passive income thereby screwing up my tax situation?