from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To sign (a previously signed document) to vouch for the authenticity of the document.
- noun A second or confirming signature on a previously signed document.
- noun A sign or signal to be given to a sentry in order to obtain passage; a password.
- noun A secret sign or signal given in answer to another.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To sign opposite to another signature; sign additionally; superadd one's signature to by way of authentication, attestation, or confirmation: as, charters signed by a king are countersigned by a secretary.
- Figuratively, to attest in any way; confirm; corroborate.
- noun A private signal, in the form of a word, phrase, or number, given to soldiers on guard, with orders to let no one pass unless he first gives that sign; a military watchword.
- noun The signature of a secretary or other subordinate officer to a writing signed by the principal or superior, to attest its authenticity; a counter-signature.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective The signature of a secretary or other officer to a writing signed by a principal or superior, to attest its authenticity.
- adjective (Mil.) A private signal, word, or phrase, which must be given in order to pass a sentry; a watchword.
- transitive verb To sign on the opposite side of (an instrument or writing); hence, to sign in addition to the signature of a principal or superior, in order to attest the authenticity of a writing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun a second
signatureadded to a document to affirm the validityof the signature of the first person
- verb transitive to add a second
signatureto a document, affirming the validityof the signature of another person
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb add one's signature to after another's to attest authenticity
- noun a secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group
- noun a second confirming signature endorsing a document already signed
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
counter- + sign
Sorry, no example sentences found.