from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dearly beloved person.
- n. One that is greatly liked or preferred; a favorite: "the pride and vanity of the rich, the darlings of fate” ( Mario Puzo).
- adj. Dearly beloved.
- adj. Regarded with special favor; favorite: "Metaphysics and poetry . . . are my darling studies” ( Samuel Taylor Coleridge).
- adj. Informal Charming or amusing: a darling hat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who is dear to one.
- adj. Dear; cherished.
- adj. charming
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Dearly beloved; regarded with especial kindness and tenderness; favorite.
- n. One dearly beloved; a favorite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is very dear; one much beloved; a special favorite.
- Very dear; peculiarly beloved; favorite; regarded with great affection and tenderness; lovingly cherished: as, a darling child.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. dearly loved
- n. a special loved one
- n. an Australian river; tributary of the Murray River
"Oh, darling, _darling_ Miss Humf'ay, we _will_ be good if you'll stay!"
England, six months ago, did not I hear him croon, if not certainly sing, 'Charlie is my darling' ( 'my _darling_' with an adoring emphasis), and then he stood back, as it were, from the song, to look at it better, and said 'How must that notion of ideal wondrous perfection have impressed itself in this old Jacobite's "young
“Hello,” Ellen said warmly, biting off the word darling before it could escape her lips.
Well it looks like CNN has grown tired of Meghan "Air-head" McCain and its new darling is the worthless dead-beat dad from Alaska.
Palin, Palin, Palin .. now another WH non-darling is bashed.
To kick off the week, how about this darling from a public library professional collection?
And this darling, is why I feel so right in your company.
Your media darling is going to crap on our country, just wait and see.
Wow and the actually receive balanced reporting, not the McCain darling type reporting.
We can tell you that the Disney darling is maintaining her squeaky clean image – Demi Lovato is not a cutter and her rep explains the marks: