from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To divest of covering; make bare.
- transitive v. Geology To expose (rock strata) by erosion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To divest of all covering; to make bare or naked; to strip; to divest; as, to denude one of clothing, or lands.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To divest of all covering; to make bare or naked; to strip; to divest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To strip or divest of all covering; make bare or naked.
- Specifically In geology, to wear away and remove surface or overlying matter, and thus make bare and expose to view (the underlying strata).
- Synonyms To bare, lay bare, uncover.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. lay bare
Besides, does the word 'denude' occur in any writer before, or of, Shakspeare's age?
Moscow argues that the shield will denude its own strike capabilities, and has called for the U.S. to deploy a shield with Russia or abolish the plan altogether.
As a result, the domestic herds denude the land of CO2-absorbing plants and churn up the ground with their hooves, releasing soil-sequestered carbon in the process.
Most importantly of all, until this afternoon we had heard no sustained challenge from the White House to either the vision or the math behind the Ryan budget, even though the evidence is already overwhelming that its implementation would immediately add at least 600,000 to the unemployment rolls and more slowly denude the entire US welfare net of vital public funding.
Back then, cities were being taken on by planning to denude them; the British new town strategy was almost always the preferred one.
If we solve the energy problem without solving the population problem we will continue to infest the planet as we denude it of water, minerals and other finite resources, displacing natural fauna and flora to grow our food.
It will denude them of all innocent belief in law and order, or lead to their appointment as part of a customer focus group. on March 30, 2009 at 7: 09 pm | Reply Joe Public
How will the emergency teams meet their response times as they denude them to fill the neighbourhoods?
First, teaching zombies to eat livestock would just denude the world of animals as well as humans.
Fox's Terra Nova 8/7c finally revealed some juicy intel in last week's above-par episode, if we can believe Commander Taylor's story about his estranged son Lucas developing a two-way portal that would allow the Earth of 2149 to denude Terra Nova of its natural bounty.