from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is excessively concerned with being or appearing to be proper, modest, or righteous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who is or tries to be excessively proper, especially one who is easily offended by matters of a sexual nature.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman of affected modesty, reserve, or coyness; one who is overscrupulous or sensitive; one who affects extraordinary prudence in conduct and speech.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who affects rigid correctness in conduct and thought; one who exhibits extreme propriety or coyness in behavior: occasionally applied also to a man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person excessively concerned about propriety and decorum
I read once that a prude is a good woman in the worst sense of the word.
"Oh, there you are out, indeed, cousin Wright! she's more of what they call a prude than a coquette."
Under the article on “Deshoulières” the compiler pretends that lady was the same who was designated under the term prude (précieuse) in Boileau’s satire upon women.
Similarly, although nobody wants to be called a prude, one could hardly deny that being offended by non-abstinence sex education, pre-marital sex, and homosexuality is objectively anti-sex (that is to say: unmarried, non-heterosexual, and/or kinky sex).
I was called a prude yesterday because I loathe those commercials where the little baby talks like a grown-up, and acts like a jerk.
Whether I have a heart or not I will leave you to find out for yourself; but I won't be called a prude by you.
The city of Ingres may be thought of by itself; there is plenty of food for reflection here without recalling the prude whose virtue caused more mischief than the vices of all the Montespans and Dubarrys put together.
'The Bachelor' week 6 recap: Courtney goes topless, but Ben ironically overwhelmed by overeager Blakely, Jamie While the model was busy bringing her A-game, the other women were moving at a much-slower, 'prude'-like pace ABC
I suppose the prude was afraid of my demolishing and unrigging her. '
The comedians were funnier that I expected, but without a doubt, the prude was the show stealer.