from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A notable act or deed, especially an act of courage; an exploit.
- n. An act of skill, endurance, imagination, or strength; an achievement.
- n. Obsolete A specialized skill; a knack.
- adj. Archaic Adroit; dexterous.
- adj. Archaic Neat; trim.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A relatively rare or difficult accomplishment.
- adj. dexterous in movements or service; skilful; neat; pretty
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An act; a deed; an exploit.
- n. A striking act of strength, skill, or cunning; a trick.
- transitive v. To form; to fashion.
- adj. Dexterous in movements or service; skillful; neat; nice; pretty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A deed; especially, a noteworthy or extraordinary act or performance; an exploit: as, feats of arms; feats of horsemanship or of dexterity.
- n. Synonyms Deed, Feat, Exploit, Achievement. These words are arranged in the order of strength; deed, however, may have a much more elevated character than feat, and even surpass exploit. A deed may, on the other hand, be base or ignoble. It is, therefore, often accompanied by an adjective of quality. A feat is generally an act of remarkable skill or strength: as, the feats of a juggler, a ventriloquist, an athlete. An exploit is especially an act of boldness or bravery, with various degrees of mental power in working it out. An achievement is the result of large ability in planning, and diligence and boldness in executing. Feat, exploit, and achievement differ from act, action, and deed in that the first three always, and the last three only sometimes, represent something great.
- To form; fashion; set an example to.
- Neat; skilful; ingenious; deft; clever.
- Large: as, a pretty feat parcel (a rather large quantity).
- To make neat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a notable achievement
Just how Mahler's music accomplishes this feat is another question that Mr. Lebrecht's book explores, along with the details of Mahler's life and the author's own deep, personal engagement with the composer's music.
This feat is all the more remarkable when you learn that the book was published in 1917!
Either feat is astounding utilizing any weapon but these guys (I can't even remember their names) did it with "tools" like most of us have or can buy.
Biologically speaking, the feat is the bacterial equivalent of removing lungs and coaxing the disembodied tissue to breathe.
But his greatest feat is arguably his ability to reinvent himself, to endure.
The main (delicious!) tool her team uses to help accomplish this important feat is through The Gratitude Cookie (tm).
The main (delicious!) tool her team uses to help accomplish this important feat is through The Gratitude Cookie ™.
“Detroit Rock City” goes for broke in its portrayal of adolescents in a time of hyper-kinetic sexual, chemical and territorial exploration and its most laudable feat is making all of it extremely funny.
Is it called a feat of desperate daring when one man and a dog cross the
This phenomenal feat translates into 2,340 school days the pair have showed up for classes.