from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A small container, such as a bottle, having a narrow neck and usually a cap, especially.
  • noun A flat, relatively thin container for liquor.
  • noun A container or case for carrying gunpowder or shot.
  • noun A vial or round long-necked vessel for laboratory use.
  • noun A frame for holding a sand mold in a foundry.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A bottle, especially one of some peculiar form or material (see below): as, a flask for wine or oil.
  • noun Specifically— A narrow-necked globular glass bottle: as, a Florence flask.
  • noun A metallic or other portable dram-bottle, with flat sides: as, a pocket-flask.
  • noun A vessel, generally of metal or horn, for containing gunpowder, carried by sportsmen, usually furnished with a measure of the charge at the top.
  • noun An iron vessel for containing mercury, in the shape of a long bottle. A flask of mercury from California is about 75 pounds.
  • noun A vessel used in a laboratory for sublimation, for digesting in a sand-bath, or for any similar purpose.
  • noun A shallow frame of wood or iron used in foundries to contain the sand and patterns employed in molding and casting.
  • noun A bed in a gun-carriage.
  • noun A long narrow case, as for arrows; a quiver; hence, a set of arrows in a quiver.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A small bottle-shaped vessel for holding fluids.
  • noun A narrow-necked vessel of metal or glass, used for various purposes; as of sheet metal, to carry gunpowder in; or of wrought iron, to contain quicksilver; or of glass, to heat water in, etc.
  • noun obsolete A bed in a gun carriage.
  • noun (Founding) The wooden or iron frame which holds the sand, etc., forming the mold used in a foundry; it consists of two or more parts; viz., the cope or top; sometimes, the cheeks, or middle part; and the drag, or bottom part. When there are one or more cheeks, the flask is called a three part flask, four part flask, etc.
  • noun a thin glass flask, flat-bottomed and cone-shaped to allow of safely shaking its contents laterally without danger of spilling; -- so called from Erlenmeyer, a German chemist who invented it.
  • noun A glass flask, round or pear-shaped, with round or flat bottom, and usually very thin to allow of heating solutions.
  • noun a kind of pocket dram bottle, often covered with metal or leather to protect it from breaking.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A container used to discreetly carry a small amount of a hard alcoholic beverage; a pocket flask.
  • noun sciences Laboratory glassware used to hold larger volumes than test tubes, normally having a narrow mouth of a standard size which widens to a flat or spherical base.
  • noun engineering A container for holding a casting mold, especially for sand casting molds.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun bottle that has a narrow neck
  • noun the quantity a flask will hold


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Middle English, cask, keg, from Old French flasque, from Late Latin flascō, of Germanic origin.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English flask ("cask, keg"), from flaske ("case"), from Anglo-Norman flascon, from Late Latin flascō ("bottle"), from Frankish *flasko (whence also Dutch fles), from Proto-Germanic *flaskōn (“braid-covered bottle, wicker-enclosed jug”) (whence also Old English flaxe, flasce, German Flasche), from Proto-Indo-European *ploḱ-skō (“flat”) (whence also Lithuanian plókščias, Czech ploský).



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.