from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A coil or loop.
- n. Nautical A ring on a stay attached to the head of a jib or staysail.
- n. A looped bundle, as of yarn.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A coil or loop of something, especially twine, yarn, or rope
- n. A ring or shackle that secures a staysail to its stay and allows the sail to glide smoothly up and down.
- n. doubt, difficulty
- n. mess, tangle
- v. To form into hanks.
- v. To fasten with a rope, as a gate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A parcel consisting of two or more skeins of yarn or thread tied together.
- n. A rope or withe for fastening a gate.
- n. Hold; influence.
- n. A ring or eye of rope, wood, or iron, attached to the edge of a sail and running on a stay.
- n. A throw in which a wrestler turns his left side to his opponent, twines his left leg about his opponent's right leg from the inside, and throws him backward.
- transitive v. To fasten with a rope, as a gate.
- transitive v. To form into hanks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To fasten by means of a rope or cord: draw or compress tightly.
- [⟨ hank, n.] To form into hanks, as yarn.
- To hang.
- Same as hanker.
- n. A skein or coil of yarn or thread; more particularly, a definite length of yarn, thread, silk, or the like bound up in one or more skeins. A hank of cotton yarn is 840 yards; a hank of linen yarn is 3,000 yards.
- n. A string; a tie; a clasp; a hold; a collar, chain, ring, or other means of fastening.
- n. Specifically Nautical, a ring of wood or iron (formerly of rope) fastened round a fore-and-aft stay, and having the head of a jib or stay-sail seized to it. Iron hanks are used on wire stays, and wooden ones on rope stays.
- n. A withy or rope for fastening a gate.
- n. A handle.
- n. A habit or practice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a coil of rope or wool or yarn
Well I sure as heck dont need "hank" with me in a bar.
My throat was sore and swollen for a day or two, and I felt so sorry for myself at times that I laughed to think how I must have looked: sitting on a stone, drinking a pan of tea without trimmings, that had got cold, and eating a shapeless lump of brown bread; my one "hank" drawn around my neck, serving as hank and bandage alternately.
We stood on the brink of a wall, over which the stream at our side fell in a "hank" of divided cataracts.
1 In the notation of yarn the unit is the relation of the "hank" of 840 yards to the pound.
"hank" drawn around my neck, serving as hank and bandage alternately.
Is E.B. Johnson one and the same as the hank johnson – Guam will tilt fame?
Sounds similar to JJEF will reason upon 21-14 over RYE according to a twitter wire hank greebergNovember 6th, 2009 during 8: 05 pm
And pieces of dead men—hands, arms, a foot still wearing a boot, a hank of hair still rooted to a clump of clotted scalp.
I believe you all have the rite to comment and express your opinions on this curious violation of nature, but I think none of you have the rite to judge the man personally. hank castle
Probably cheaper to wrap the earbuds up in a small hank.