from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To pull up (a plant and its roots) from the ground.
- transitive v. To destroy or remove completely; eradicate.
- transitive v. To force to leave an accustomed or native location.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To root up; to tear up by the roots, or as if by the roots; to extirpate.
- v. To remove utterly; to eradicate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To root up; to tear up by the roots, or as if by the roots; to remove utterly; to eradicate; to extirpate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To root up; tear up by the roots, or as if by the roots; remove utterly; eradicate; extirpate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. pull up by or as if by the roots
- v. move (people) forcibly from their homeland into a new and foreign environment
- v. destroy completely, as if down to the roots
Sorry, no etymologies found.
President Sam Nujoma to "uproot" homosexuality from Namibia, calling it a "foreign and corrupt ideology".
The official said Sunday the special units will operate in four provinces believed to house senior al-Qaida leaders in a bid to "uproot" terrorism from Yemen.
The Yemeni official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the plan with reporters, said his country is setting up the localized anti-terrorism units to engage al-Qaida operatives in their own strongholds and "uproot" terrorism from
As Israel rolls into Gaza, what are the Jewish and Israeli communities remembering about the IDF's previous ill-fated incursions to "uproot" and "destroy the terrorist infrastructure" while "minimizing civilian casualties"?
Pakistani soldiers were launched on a long-awaited ground offensive to "uproot" Al-Qaeda and the Afghan border yesterday.
Pakistani soldiers were launched on a long-awaited ground offensive to "uproot" Al-Qaeda and the Pakistani troops backed by fighter jets launched a major operation against the
Pakistani soldiers were launched on a long-awaited ground offensive to "uproot" Al-Qaeda and the Pakistani soldiers as the army tries to break the militants 'grip on South Waziristan.
Pakistani army spokesman Major Gen. Athar Abbas confirmed Saturday evening that a full-fledged ground operation was under way and said that it aimed to 'uproot' the Pakistani Taliban.
The American Federation of Government Employees, however, estimates the move would "uproot"
Those concerns have been increasingly raised on Capitol Hill, where House Communications Subcommittee chairman Rick Boucher (D-Va.) is preparing an online privacy bill. earing on the bill two weeks ago, the ad industry telegraphed that they were almost ready to unveil the guidelines, but also said a strict opt-in regime imposed from Washington could pose a "profound risk" to ad-supported services, and could impair the consumer surfing experience, which could in turn "uproot" the revenue model.