American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A spectral ship said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope.
- n. The captain of this ship, a legendary Dutch mariner condemned to sail the seas against the wind until Judgment Day.
- n. nautical A Dutch-flagged clipper that is very fast sailing, and never makes it to port, seen on the high seas, where upon being hailed, occupants request information on persons long dead, or leave messages for said people. It is considered bad luck to meet said ship.
- n. idiomatic A ship of similar qualities to the Flying Dutchman.
- n. A ghost ship.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. A spectral ship.
- n. the captain of a phantom ship (the Flying Dutchman) who was condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day
- n. a phantom ship that is said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Flying Dutchman’.
Looking for tweets for Flying Dutchman.