American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An ordinary, often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs.
- n. a sad or pathetic person given to flights of fancy, a daydreamer.
- n. an imposter, especially one claiming military service he has in fact never undergone.
- n. fictional character created by James Thurber who daydreams about his adventures and triumphs
- After the main character in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” by James Thurber. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It was every reader's Walter Mitty dream come true: a ton of gold uncomplicated by taxes and death duties.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Walter Mitty’.
The height of fame, or infamy, is when your name becomes a byword for something. I'm not 100 percent sure about the technical name for this trope, but it seems to be antonomasia. Suggestions are mo...
Looking for tweets for Walter Mitty.