American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To try to perform, make, or achieve: attempted to read the novel in one sitting; attempted a difficult dive.
- v. Archaic To tempt.
- v. Archaic To attack with the intention of subduing.
- n. An effort or a try.
- n. An attack; an assault: an attempt on someone's life.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make an effort to effect or do; endeavor to perform; undertake; essay: as, to attempt a bold flight.
- To venture upon: as, to attempt the sea.—
- To make trial of; prove; test: as, “well-attempted plate,” Fairfax.
- To try with afflictions. Jer. Taylor.
- To endeavor to obtain or attract.
- To try to win or seduce; tempt; entice.
- To attack; make an effort against; assail: as, to attempt the enemy's camp; to attempt a person's life.
- Synonyms Attempt, Essay, Undertake, Endeavor, Strive, Struggle, seek, aim. The italicized words agree in expressing the beginning of a task, physical or intellectual, which is difficult and often impossible. They are arranged in the order of strength. Attempt is to try with some effort. Essay is sometimes to try in order to see if a thing can be done or attained, and sometimes simply to attempt: as, “which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned,” Heb. xi. 29. Undertake is, literally, to take a task upon one's self, perhaps formally, and hence to go about a task with care and effort. Endeavor is to try with more earnestness, labor, or exertion. Strive is to work hard and earnestly, doing one's best. Struggle is to tax one's powers to the extent of fatigue, pain, or exhaustion. The first three words are more appropriate for a single effort, the other three for continuous or continual efforts.
- n. A putting forth of effort in the performance or accomplishment of that which is difficult or uncertain; essay, trial, or endeavor; effort.
- n. An effort to accomplish something by force or violence; an attack or assault: as, an attempt upon one's life.
- n. Temptation.
- n. In law, an act done in part execution of a design to commit a crime. Judge May. Mere solicitation or preparation, without a step taken toward the actual commission, is not a criminal attempt. Synonyms Undertaking, effort, endeavor, enterprise, experiment.
- v. To try.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make trial or experiment of; to try; to endeavor to do or perform (some action); to assay
- v. Obs. or Archaic To try to move, by entreaty, by afflictions, or by temptations; to tempt.
- v. To try to win, subdue, or overcome.
- v. To attack; to make an effort or attack upon; to try to take by force.
- v. obsolete To make an attempt; -- with
- n. A essay, trial, or endeavor; an undertaking; an attack, or an effort to gain a point; esp. an unsuccessful, as contrasted with a successful, effort.
- v. make an effort or attempt
- n. earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
- n. the act of attacking
- v. enter upon an activity or enterprise
- Late 14th century, from Old French atempter, from Latin attemptō ("I try, solicit"), from ad ("to") + temptare, more correctly tentare ("to try"); see tempt. The noun is from the 1530s, the sense "an assault on somebody's life, assassination attempt" (French attentat) is from 1580. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English attempten, from Old French attempter, from Latin attemptāre : ad-, ad- + temptāre, to test. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He was unhappily deceived in his attempt, which certainly would have been confidered as an a£t of conlum* mate bravery, had it been fuppofed, within the bounds o£ poiTibility, for fortune to have favoured his attempt* That not being the cafe, thole who would have rejoiced in the former iniiance When beftowing on him that tribute of applaufe juftly due to a gallant a£t, were compelled to be content with the fileni tear of compaflSon for the unhappjr fate of a raih and defperate man.”
Internet Archive: Biographia navalis; or, Impartial memoirs of the lives and characters of officers of the navy of Great Britain, from the year 1660 to the present time; drawn from the most authentic sources, and disposed in a chronological arrangement
“By shutting down all discussion, those who use the term attempt to create a Mannichean divide that actually lessens the chance that those they are discussing things with will be likely to hear, understand, and possibly accept theirviews.”
“By shutting down all discussion, those who use the term attempt to creat a Mannichean divide that actually lessens the chance that those they are discussing things with will be likely to hear, understansd, and possibly accept theirviews.”
“It wasn't the most graceful landing, but Royals shortstop Alcides Escobar beat the tag attempt by Tigers third baseman Don Kelly on a two-run triple in the sixth inning of Saturday night's game.”
“A twinge in his right wrist gave him a little scare here but he says he will be ready to go tomorrow, when he begins his title attempt against American Michael Russell.”
“Here the attempt is at regulating a contract with, at most, intrastate implications (since the exchange pools are intrastate only).”
“The Fed assisted with its short term attempt to spur the economy with Quantitative Easing 2 QE2, buying $600 billion.”
“Brooks also spots the a sly dig from the LDS press office -- the use of the word "attempt.”
“Sometimes the attempt is the path, and becoming too concerned with end results can mar the pleasure of the journey; indeed, it can mar the work itself.”
“I also want to claim that this attempt is a romantic one.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘attempt’.
Don't commit any of these if you can
firearms trafficking, serious and organ..., trafficking in hu..., illegal shipment ..., cybercrime, money laundering, sale of counterfe..., sale of dangerous..., smuggling, infraction, corruption, organised crime and 153 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Legal glossary with special focus on courtroom vocabulary
Very basic words for ESL students.
words from the cookbook "Nigella Bites" by Nigella Lawson
Looking for tweets for attempt.