from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To convert to automatic operation: automate a factory.
- transitive v. To control or operate by automation.
- intransitive v. To make use of or be converted to automation: a food service that decided to automate for greater efficiency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To replace or enhance human labor with machines.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. make automatic; to change [a process] so that it is mostly automatic; to substitute machinery for human labor in an activity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make automatic or control or operate automatically
The other reason to automate is to get people out of the system.
Knowing the right time to automate is tough, so using technology that proactively supports early manual testing but provides a path to evolve this into automation is key.
The simplest, most effective way to pay yourself first is to "automate" savings.
On the "automate" part of the platform is all of their BPM offerings: iProcess, the newly-announced ActiveMatrix BPM, Business Studio and PeopleForms.
I think that when they "automate" something where the benefit solely accrues to their benefit, rather than to everyones benefit.
However, I wanted to share a way to "automate" this process using Group Policy and Group Policy Preferences.
Being in the middle of a set of Board meetings with lots of legal and accounting issues, I beginning to think we really do need to "automate" more of this.
After I automate all my bills, I put them all on one credit card and use one credit card while traveling.
Working with Hitachi, it adopted XBRL GL as its common data format and used Hitachi software to automate the processing from its business application systems to the accounting subsystems and consolidated them so all of the divisisions eventually fed into a new Oracle E-Business Suite.
While not catering to micro-lots, the Barclays platform offered through Bloomberg terminals is meant to automate smaller tickets to allow human traders at the firm to concentrate on larger "block" trades.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.