from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To convert to automatic operation: automate a factory.
- transitive v. To control or operate by automation.
- intransitive v. To make use of or be converted to automation: a food service that decided to automate for greater efficiency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To replace or enhance human labor with machines.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. make automatic; to change [a process] so that it is mostly automatic; to substitute machinery for human labor in an activity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make automatic or control or operate automatically
Back-formation from automation.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)