American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having barbs.
- adj. Cutting; stinging: barbed criticism; barbed statements.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Shaved; trimmed; having the beard dressed.
- Furnished with barbs, as an arrow, the point of a fish-hook, and the like: as, “arrows barbed with fire,”
- “a barbed proboscis,”
- In heraldry: Having barbs: said of the rose used as a bearing. The barbs are commonly colored green, and the blazon is a rose gules barbed proper.
- Having gills or wattles, as a cock: as, a cock sable, barbed or (that is, a black cock having golden gills). Also called wattled.
- Having the ends made with barbs like those of an arrow-head: said especially of a cross of this form. Also called bearded.
- Same as barded.
- adj. Having barbs
- adj. heraldry Bearded (also applied to roses).
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of barb.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Accoutered with defensive armor; -- said of a horse. See barded (which is the proper form.)
- adj. Furnished with a barb or barbs.
- adj. having or covered with protective barbs or quills or spines or thorns or setae etc.
- adj. capable of wounding
“Lee is essentially a satirist who redefines the term barbed wit; more traditional in his approach than say, Chris Morris, but no less appalled and disgusted at what has become of us.”
“One was a rough mangy mut that looked like it had been caught in barbed wire or a fight.”
“Wrestling legend Paul Heyman has slammed Rihanna for allegedly ripping off his idea of being wrapped up in barbed wire for the single cover for her current comeback single “Russian Roulette.””
“Or do we just have to invest in barbed wire and sit and wait for the anarchy to descend? on November 6, 2008 at 7: 59 am | Reply PC Disgruntled”
“They were delivered to tar paper barracks in barbed wire compounds patrolled by soldiers.”
“After the Wall was laid out in barbed wire in 1961, she and her husband were denied permission to go to the West to obtain the medicine that was keeping him alive.”
“Their arms consisted in short barbed swords of iron, heavy black bows, arrows tipped with flint, iron and copper, and stone-headed mallets.”
“The idea was brought to a company who designed flags and the black and white silhouette of a prisoner encased in barbed wire with a looming guard tower was born.”
“It was made of mangrove logs nailed and tied and wrapped in barbed wire.”
“The democratic vistas have ended in barbed wire.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘barbed’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
any and all things heraldry related.
words that describe facial hair,
some cute ones here
she's such a joy.
My big word list.
Words and phrases used in blazoning heraldic devices, along with names and other terms associated with the art and science.
Other similar lists can be found on Wordnik, especially that...
Words allowing different, competing segmentations, thus making pun lovers happy
Looking for tweets for barbed.